Junkyard Cats - BAM Edition
Original Table by Brendan Bailey, 2012
BAM Edition mod by TerryRed, 2021
Version 1.1, Dec 24, 2021
Thank you so much Brendan Bailey for supporting this update!
I wanted to try doing another "quick" update to a classic FP "original" table to bring it up to my own modern day BAM standards, and see how much I could do in 2 days. Dang! What a sweet lightshow this table has... and its so fun!
Brendan Bailey is one of FP's classic "original" table authors. EVERYTHING on this table was made by him! The layout, art, music, sounds, code. Such an amazing work of passion deserves to be updated to be enjoyed by a new generation of virtual pinball lovers!
For a video preview of the new BAM update comparison, go here:
Original Table by Brendan Bailey:
TerryRed's BAM Edition update:
- new G.I. lighting (dynamic lighting - x4 hidden flashers in lower and upper plastics)
- new drain flasher for accented colour
- new BAM post processing
- added shadowmaps to most G.I lights
- added pre-baked shadowmaps (created by BAM) to playfield and plastics textures
- added illuminated look to GI ON plastics texture
- adjusted playfield / plastics / apron, etc texture brightness to better match new lighting
- new 3D model inserts
- new pre-rendered insert textures
- new bump maps for inserts
- disabled glow radius for all inserts
- added sphere maps to the sides of all plastics
- updated GI on/off code
- adjusted GI on/off brightness for all lights / inserts / textures
- added all new FLEEP sounds for all mechanical actions (flippers, bumpers, slings, drain, etc)
- added BAM DF1 physics (updated settings in editor to better work with new physics)
- added invisible ramp blocker to prevent ball from flying off the ramp
- added invisible playfield blocker to prevent ball from flying on top of plastics
- hid slingshot bulbs that interfered with shadowmaps
Schlabber34 - new pre-rendered insert images
FLEEP - new mechanical sounds
To get up to date with FP and BAM, my Mega Guide is VERY handy for proper setup of both, and lots of other up to date info.
This table REQUIRES BAM 1.5-341 or higher!
Download and install the BAM 2 in 1 installer if you don't have Future Pinball installed at all:
If you have Future Pinball installed, then install the latest version of BAM (1.5-341 or higher is needed)
To install/update only BAM from the update zip.... extract the BAM folder to the main Future Pinball folder
Future Pinball Video and Editor settings:
- make sure your video settings are the same as the included picture shows you (this is important!)
- you can change the resolution, anti-aliasing, and reflections as needed, but the rest needs to be the same
- make sure the Editor settings are the same as the included picture shows you
- cabinet users should follow my "FP and BAM Mega Guide" PDF for proper setup on a cabinet
Install the table and BAM config files:
- the table file goes in the "Future Pinball\Tables" folder
- the *.fpl files go in the "Future Pinball\Libraries" folder
- the "Junkyard Cats - BAM Edition 1.1.cfg" file goes into the "BAM\CFG" folder (this must match the table filename to be used)
- this BAM CFG file will already have a good desktop static camera and cabinet POV preset made for you that fits the table nicely into view
How to play the table:
- you MUST use the FPLoader.exe (this is BAM) in the BAM folder to load and play tables!
- DO NOT use the FuturePinball.exe to load / edit / play tables!
- DO NOT trust using the installed desktop shortcuts or start menu for FP... as these may be pointing to the futurepinball.exe and not FPLoader.exe (BAM)
- ALWAYS completely close FP after exiting a table or loading / starting another table. If you don't do this... FP will most likely crash!
- you "might" need to run FPLoader.exe as Administrator at least once for BAM and FP to work correctly
Press C to cycle through BAM's Desktop Static camera views (if using the included CFG file)
Table Startup Options:
The following can be set in the "USER TABLE OPTIONS" near the top of the script
- Ray Cast Ball Shadows
BAM Ray Cast Ball Shadows:
- this table was created to look best with the new BAM Ray Cast Ball shadows
- to enable them, open BAM menu while in-game (~ or Q by default), and goto "Addons - Configure Ball and Shadows"
- set it to sharpness 0.850 and dark level -1.0
- or you can enable it in the "USER TABLE OPTIONS" at the top of the script
- this feature requires a fairly decent video card, and will use much more of your GPU
If enabling this slows down the game... then your PC may not be fast enough to handle it, and you may need to disable it (in the BAM menu and script)
BAM in-game menu settings:
Note that the BAM Lighting and Post Processig settings are set by the table script and will ALWAYS override the user's settings!
This is needed to ensure the new BAM Edition Lighting is set correctly along with all other changes made to the table!
- this version of the table has BAM dynamic physics (DF1) added to it
- this is done through code in the table script, and some adjustments to the table in the editor
- this is NOT the newer DF2 physics that are being worked on. Thay may come in a future update.
PinEvent / DOF / SSF / PUP
- this version of the table is NOT updated for PinEvent / DOF / SSF / PUP!
- there will be a separate version for that coming at a later time
This table does not need any extra vbs files or apps to be run (except for BAM of course)
To do in future updates:
- add ball rolling sounds (I tried adding it, but it wouldn't stay working correctly)
- update to the newer DF2 physics if it can be added optimally
- PinEvent version